Attribution and license when using the scvi-tools-skeleton

Dear @adamgayoso and @romain_lopez,

Thank you very much for providing such a valuable resource for model development! I’ve been using the scvi-tools-skeleton for developing a novel model. At some point, I want to make it public and hence redistribute it, and I wonder whether you can provide me with some advice on how to adhere to your BSD-3 license. One reason for my difficulties is that I can not clearly separate “your code” from “mine”. I, of course, adhere to the main structure that you provide, e.g., object structure, name of functions, attributes, etc., to ensure compatibility with scvi-tools). Additionally, I keep all the setup files for the docs, etc. In this process, I also change the authors in, e.g., the “pyproject.toml” file, fill up the documentation with details related to my model, etc. Any help regarding how I should attribute you and adhere to the legal obligations of the license are highly appreciated!

Best,
Pia

Hi Pia,

Thank you for using scvi-tools. I cannot provide legal advice, so I will only mention that e.g., Pandas and PyTorch have the same, or a nearly similar license as scvi-tools. I hope that helps.

Hi @adamgayoso,

Thanks a lot for your quick response. I am aware that you can not give any legal advice here. However, I want to ask you, as one of the main authors/contributors of the open-source scvi-tools and scvi-tools-skeleton, for your preference with regards to how you would like to be acknowledged and see your work used by the community.

Currently, I mention both the scvi-tools-skeleton and scvi-tools in my README, include their licenses, and cite the scvi-tools preprint.

Best,
Pia

This seems reasonable to me! Glad scvi-tools was useful for you in your research. Perhaps we will consider a badge you can add to your README.

Thank you very much!